What router?

Hi folks,

It’s been ages and I need a bit of advice…

My router is showing its age and needs to be replaced.

My setup has a dedicated Ethernet wan and 4 ports gigabit with wireless.

Most of my devices are dualband so that would be a requirement of the router…

I do a lot of media streaming over wireless as well as large file transfers.

What can you recommend?cheers

I got a good deal on a Netgear DGND3700 before Christmas - they seem to be twenty quid more now - simultaneous dual band - guest networks separate to your own - four gigabit Ethernet ports plus one input port, so if you decide to go fiber or cable all you need is an Ethernet connect modem, two USB ports for networked storage/printers - IPv6 support - out performs my old DG834G on comparable functions. No problems at all with ADSL2+ but reported drop outs with older ADSL connections.
A bit pricey but a welcome addition to my set-up and I can give wireless internet access to my dozy relatives without compromising my security.

I recommend D-Link above anything else I’ve found. The products are stable and the configuration options are vast. I’m using a D-Link DIR-655, which is a 4-port router with wireless, and it’s worked extremely well.

Love the 655 from DLINK - I have two in the home/office and they just work!

I have the WDR4300 from TPLink.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?categoryid=2166&model=TL-WDR4300

Very reasonably priced and a very good performer.

Well, if you want an Edimax 6200N I have one thats just gone on Ebay.

Its a basic 150Mbps wireless thingy with 3G backup of some sort.
I bought it to use as a wireless hotspot with a view to having 3G on standby for the daily Virgin cable outage.

Then I kicked Virgin Media into touch and haven’t used this since.

PM me if interested

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the tips and offers. In the end I went for

ASUS RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router

Will let you know what I think once I have had it in place for a few weeks

Just to add to this, I recently gave the TPLink to my brother in favour of a Mikrotik with 5xGB and 5xFast ether ports. Also has an SFP port for a fiber module should FTTH ever become a reality in deepest darkest Africa.

Extremely happy with this little number.