When is an uninstall not an uninstall?

When it’s a 3 dongle (ZTE). Had an issue with my niece’s laptop in that the dongle would be recognised and you can connect, but if you log off and then back on again it wouldn’t. The only way to cure this was to uninstall the dongle software & reinstall it, which obviously is a bit of a pain.

I checked it for her and found the same, but after a few goes thought I’d check the control panel - programs removal section. Right at the bottom of the uninstall/change list was a ZTE program (the make of the dongle). I uninstalled this and rebooted, re-installed the software and rebooted to check. It now recognises the dongle everytime she logs on and so she does not have to uninstall/reinstall the software every time.

Anyone else come across this before?

Can’t remember if that’s the same dongle I have, but I think the software comes in two parts. One part is the connection client, the other is lower level driver/hardware support. I guess the 1st install/uninstall you did was for the client.

That’s what I thought. It seems the other part had got corrupted and so was not recognising that the dongle was attached and so would not connect. After uninstalling both parts and reinstalling it, it all worked fine.

Because the software is installed when the dongle is inserted you’d think that any un-installation would remove both parts. There was nothing in the uninstallation script asking if you wanted to delete the whole package and not just the client software. Bad coding I guess. As for her lack of space, a fair bit of it was broken uninstallation links held in the registry. I just wish that programmers would make their software remove everything when uninstalled.

I used to use a program on old win 3.1 machines called Windelete, that you used to assist installation, but it would remember EVERYTHING that was installed and remove the whole lot when uninstalled. Was a good proggy.

mine had a tendency to install itself when I plugged it into a different USB port from the last time I used it !!

I can see that happening and I tried to use the same port all the time for this dongle just in case :slight_smile: