When it gets cooler

I can bring at least two rigs back to crunching when it gets cooler. So which projects does TPR need the most help in. I have one eight core and one four core I could spare.

The F@H team can always use more crunchers. :star_struck: We currently have only three crunchers active.

I’m currently doing Rosetta and a bit of World Community Grid… they could do with a bit of help!!!

Really! Only three? Use to have so many.

Always liked Rosetta. Will put it on my list to ponder.
Still miss Docking.

I believe most moved over to BOINC because they could support more than just Folding. With the addition of the GPU F@H client, TPR has been holding their own against most of the other teams, but there are some teams still moving away from us. So more crunchers will make our pursuit more effective. :beep:

1 Like

I remember at one time I had an issue with F@H, but don’t recall what. I’ll download it and see what happens.
Here is the Speccy Link, do you see with any issue this rig would have?
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bPn3fjVNKXGEx5wvruq6xhN
I think I’ll use the rig for BOINC

F@H is usually pretty good at configuring what exists. It works with the CPU(s) and any GPUs it detects. The only GPUs it doesn’t play nice with are the Intel GPUs. Nvidia and ATI/AMD GPUs should work fine unless they are REAL old models.

The only tweaking I did was to reduce the number of threads in the CPU being used by F@H. The recommendation by Stanford is to leave one thread unused for each CPU/GPU so that normal housekeeping can go on unhindered by F@H.

For example, my main rig has a 6-core (12 thread) CPU and two GTX 1080 GPU cards with a Win10 O/S. By default, F@H configured itself to use 11 of the available threads for CPU crunching. I went into the settings and freed-up two additional threads - one for each of the GPU cards. This left me with 9 threads available for crunching:
Threads

If you want to quickly see how many CPU threads are being used by the F@H client, it’s displayed on the Advanced Control page after the CPU designation:
CPUs

My rig that I assembled from spare parts, however, doesn’t do Hyperthreading so the number of threads equals the number of cores. The CPU is a quad-core model and I have a GTX 970 and a GTX 770 plugged in to the motherboard. F@H by default configured itself to use three of the cores - which I then went in and changed to only one core. The CPU crunching for that rig is not very good at all, but I can be fairly certain the CPU folding will not be slowing down the GPUs - which are the main workhorses in any folding setup.

Ok got one comp running Rosetta, and when I get around to it will get the other on F@H.
First new batch of Rosetta just about to report.