Win 7 no internet access and Services not starting (access denied:error 5)

Not sure if this is the right place, but hey ho :wink:

I recently had issues with a loss of internet on Win 7, IP address given was 169.xxx etc, services relating to DHCP, BFE (firewall) and others were not starting, and I was unable to start them even though administrator.

The solution that worked in my case was to open a privileged command prompt and type:

net localgroup administrators localservice /add (press enter)

net localgroup administrators networkservice /add (press enter)

Internet up and running fine upon reboot :slight_smile:

posted here in case anyone has the same issues, whether it’s one of us or a stranger looking for a solution … apparently a Vista bug also

Cheers for that Wolly however I’m still getting my moneys worth from this windows 2000 system.
By the time I get to windows-7 the internet will be worn out, banned entirely or simply a nostalgic, sepia toned downloadable app for the iPhone 10

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;463744]Cheers for that Wolly however I’m still getting my moneys worth from this windows 2000 system.
By the time I get to windows-7 the internet will be worn out, banned entirely or simply a nostalgic, sepia toned downloadable app for the iPhone 10[/QUOTE]

I’m still chugging away on XP… :smiley:

heck guys, to be honest about it I used to like Millenium :chuckle: Once I got it running as I wanted it, it was stable and did everything asked of it.

2000 was good too, I can’t remember why but there was a reason I kicked it into touch … probably something to do with gaming or music editing … whatever it was, the OS didn’t (or couldn’t) support the stuff I wanted on it.

As for XP, I’m still running it and probably always will :smiley:

Tried Vista for about 6 months or more, no matter what I did it just wasn’t the OS I wanted it to be. Too many times it screwed me over in one way or another until enough was enough :wall:

Win 7 … well after the Vista debacle I thought I’d give it a quick run to see how Mr Gates & co had improved things. It seems (to me) much better than Vista, but still falls flat when it comes to gaming. There are a few games now that apparently ‘require’ win7 in order to play the game, trouble is half the time the games fall over :lol: As a general user OS it’s pretty neat, has a few clever things about it, but probably nothing that - IMO - really makes it worth the jump from XP.

… and as my first post suggests, there are times it goes completely boobs up if you install something that is allegedly Win7 certified, but is apparently not liked by it.

I really really must make another attempt to get my head round this linux lark … my last try was a while ago (suze 9 I think), and I ditched it because I had trouble with it not liking my mp3 stuff. Any suggestions guys ?

Off the shelf you are probably going to get the best results from Ubuntu its got a massive installed base and a very active forum that is a little bit intolerant of lazy posting - do a bit of research before asking any questions.

I’ve run Suse distributions mostly, and I’ve have no problems with media. Suse 11.4 is very stable. That said Ubuntu is probably the best choice for getting started, and it works well enough to be the choice of many pros.

Right chaps, just started downloading Ubuntu 11.10

Will probably throw it onto an old 80gig IDE drive and keep the win 7 alongside XP for now.

If I like the look of it and can feel my way around comfortably, Win 7 can take a hike and I’ll re-install Ubuntu onto the 320 Gig sata.

Would it be best to partition it myself if doing that ?

As long as you have plenty of memory it runs fairly well as a virtual machine inside windows.
I installed it the other day on a well specced windows 7 laptop under VMware player
Of course if Windows cops a strop it will take Ubuntu down with it but at least you can get it running without any hardware changes.