Windows 7 from £44.97 !!

A windows 7 pre-launch is orderable from Amazon, with a massive discount on rrp. Remember that the EU version will ship without a browser.

The offer for discounted Windows 7 will be available until the 9th of August 2009 or until stocks last. It is also useful to underline the fact that Microsoft has yet to unveil a Windows 7 Family pack which contains three Home Premium Licences.

Links include TPR affiliate code :slight_smile:

http://www.crunchyhog.co.uk/index.php?case=newsitem&npag=12

DT.

Was all ready to post this but you beat me to it :trophy:

Be aware you may need to keep checking in as an Amazon post read that they had run out at times on the cheaper versionbut were back in business later in the day(s) that followed… just in case you hit unlucky first time around.

I’ve been confirmed as a sale on the Pro version.

I hope you used the affiliate link :Poke:

They really are flying in and out of stock, I wonder if they have limited it to a per hour sale?

DT.

I’ve been hitting refresh on the Win7 page all evening. Only seen the Pro version at £90 listed ever. Or am I looking in wrong place?

Managed to bag a Home version earlier :cool:

They appear to be limiting the window opening on all versions so it is hit or miss.

Found this which may be of interest… Looking for a 64 bit version

I just submitted a ticket to Amazon in regard to this, as you are right, the information isn’t made available anywhere on any resellers site that I could find - including Amazon - very poor.

I have found the answer here though - http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx - MS ask: ‘Will I get 32-bit or 64-bit discs?’ - Scroll down to find the answer:

‘You’ll get both. Windows 7 Home Premium E and Windows 7 Professional E packaged products include both 32- and 64-bit discs.’

There are lots of Q&A’s.

Hope this helps.

Home Premium is up now at £75.

There isn’t a lower one is there? What’s the £45 version?

I know I should look myself, but anyone know if other sellers are doing this?

Edit: Pro just came back up at £180. Does that mean they’re already out of the cheap ones? I know it was limited but it’s barely been a day?

Home Premium was the one that was around 45 yesterday !

try staples, comet, pc world, Anvika, Currys, ebuyer, and finally Tesco direct.

Curly

Staples require you to pay up front. I’m not paying now for something 3 months away.
Ebuyer list them at the lower prices but no stock to order against.

Going through the other stores on the MS web site now.

Edit: Currys have it at 45/90 and wont charge until dispatch. Order going in shortly :smiley:
Edit2: Order is in. Damn you amazon!

I got it form Dixons :slight_smile:

At the time of this post Curry’s have it at the lower price point.

Maybe a silly question, but as MS are known for crippleware, are there MAXIMUM hardware limits for home vs pro? I’m not going multi-socket, but I’m thinking about cramming in as much ram as will fit in my next box. Haven’t managed to google anything yet.

the ram limits are there for 32 vs 64 I think, but’s that is a technical limit based on the way the kernel addresses the ram.

32bit will always be limited to 3.someGb of ram, as far as I have seen the 64bit isn’t crippled with home vs pro. I know what you mean though, I have no idea about single/dual socket.

just found this about ram

4 Gigabytes of ram are supported by all Windows 7 editions in 32-bit mode. The differences are in 64-bit mode. Home Basic and Starter support a maximum of 8 Gigabytes, Home Premium 16 Gigabytes and Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise up to 192 Gigabytes of ram.

DT.

Wow… just wondering where I can put 16GB of ram in my laptop… lol

Thanks. Yup, the only reason I’m looking at Win7 at all is that XP32 isn’t going to get me past 3.2GB of my current box. I think I’ll make do with premium then. 16GB should be adequate. I wasn’t sure how easy it is to get much more than that into a consumer/enthusiast level board anyway. :smiley:

found that one of the affiliate companies we use has Curry and Dixons, so I’ve applied :slight_smile:

DT.

Too late for my order but noted for next time :slight_smile:

http://www.crunchyhog.co.uk/index.php?case=newsitem&npag=14

Dixons added, still waiting on Currys.

DT.

http://www.crunchyhog.co.uk/index.php?case=categories&nc=36

PC-World have the pre-order for Windows7 as well.

DT.