Windows 7 & Steam games 'stuttering'

Guys, an issue I’ve had recently I thought I would share in case anyone else comes across it.

About a month ago, I had some M$ updates and some Steam game updates (DoD, TF2). After the updates all my games (online play only), started stuttering / lagging (ie missed sound, missed frames), despite having a damn good connection to the actual game (ping of 22)

After numerous attempts at contact with Steam and getting nowhere, I happened on a very interesting little piece of information.

M$ does throttling of Multimedia programs:

Quote:

Because multimedia programs require more resources, the Windows networking stack implements a throttling mechanism to restrict the processing of non-multimedia network traffic to 10 packets per millisecond.

By default, the value for the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry is set to 10. When the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry does not exist, the behavior resembles the default behavior. Network throttling can be completely turned off by setting the value to FFFFFFFF (hexadecimal). You must restart the computer after you make a change to the value of the NetworkThrottlingIndex registry entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
Name : NetworkThrottlingIndex
Value type : DWORD
Value data : From integer 1 through integer 70 (Decimal) (Decimal)

To ensure this is actually the problem you are being affected by, disable audio in device manager and reboot.
Try the game. If it is lag free, re-enable the audio, and change the above registry setting to 70 and try again. If still affected change the setting to FFFFFFFF

Worked for me

Steve

Nice one, not played on steam much lately but c+c generals has started being a biatch online so might give that a try. My son plays on steam more than me so i’ll see if he’s having the problem and try it on his pc too.