Windows connecting to ubuntu box

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes…

I’d like to have a box with no monitor/beyboard/mouse running ubuntu in a spare room and connected wirelessly to my network.

I’d like to have my main windows XP Pro rig connect to the ubuntu box to run programs on it in a window on my XP pc.

Is it possible in a free way?

Cheers

P.S. the program is Diablo 2 which can allegedly run on linux

Diablo 2 does run on Ubuntu very well. Done it myself :slight_smile:

You’d want to use VNC but I’m not sure how network speeds would be able to cope with a game like that over VNC. The would require Wine to run Diablo with
See here for details

Otherwise you could share the hard drive of the ubuntu box over Samba and mount the share as a network drive. Install the software on the shared drive. Again, not sure how well that would work either. This wouldn’t require Wine as you’d be executing it on your windows PC. I imagine this would be the better option.

in theory you could also run an X server on your windows pc - I forget the name of the free one I used to use - and then fire the X Display from the ubuntu box back to the PC. Not sure how well this works for graphically intensive stuff though.

1. Fire up windows X server
  2. telnet/ssh to ubuntu and type (dependant on shell):-
    i) export DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0 (your pc’s ip address with “:0.0” on the end)
    ii)DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0; export DISPLAY
  3. on ubuntu, launch the program and it should appear in a window on your PC.

Thanks guys,

I’ll give them a new shot when I get my new rig built.

About samba… I dont think that sounds like it could work.
I have 2 keysets for d2 and was using d2loader to run both instances simultaneously from 1 pc to help with muling.
Unfortunately d2loader has recently been banned so I have to move the 2nd keyset to another pc.
By the sounds of things if I were to use samba it would still be running off of my main pc and therefore the game would prevent me from running 2 instances of it simultaneously.

So vnc/xserver seem to be the only options - if the performance is adequate for a 10 year old game!!!

Hey Drezha - I play on USEast so give me a shout if you fancy having a game sometime. I’ve got several mules so will be able to kit you out if you need anything.

Gee, I’ll have to install it again! Not played for a long long while!

I assume your playing on Battlenet then? In which case I very sure my characters are dead by now.

By sounds it wont with samba then.

[QUOTE=Spaceboy;430289]in theory you could also run an X server on your windows pc - I forget the name of the free one I used to use - and then fire the X Display from the ubuntu box back to the PC. Not sure how well this works for graphically intensive stuff though.

1. Fire up windows X server
  2. telnet/ssh to ubuntu and type (dependant on shell):-
    i) export DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0 (your pc’s ip address with “:0.0” on the end)
    ii)DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0.0; export DISPLAY
  3. on ubuntu, launch the program and it should appear in a window on your PC.[/QUOTE]

i have a ubuntu server and win clients…

and this should work fine, if your in no hurry i can get the bits needed installed on my ubuntu box and test it for you :slight_smile:

Wyntrblue
That’d be cool mate. It’ll be about a week before all the parts get delivered so I can build the new win box.

Drezha - no worries mate. I may have to get Assasins Creed for the new rig anyway - purely for testing purposes! :wink:

But yeah bnet - I moved from EU server to US East when the ladder reset to join a mate over there. So if its been a while then you’ve probably lost all your gear when the ladder reset anyway.

I will have lost the characters not played in about a year.

Ladder characters hey? Neverplayed one of those before!