9 active crunchers

My STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING is down due to 2 off its fans failing this weekend ,Dont know how long it will take to get it fixed or a new, So my production will suffer a lot.
And btw Fadamor :stomp::cheers:

“His production is down” yet he’s still doing better than me. :sigh: And the stomp has been acknowledged. :sigh: :sigh:

Whilst poking around my dormant stack of ESX test boxes I found a VM called “Folder” and sparked it up, it runs but isnt a rocket ship

21:03:22:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 1825000 out of 2500000 steps (73%)
21:29:10:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 1850000 out of 2500000 steps (74%)
21:55:02:WU00:FS00:0xa4:Completed 1875000 out of 2500000 steps (75%)

In order to get vmware 6.5 compliant hardware I need to double the cores and have them run at 2.9Ghz instead of 1.8, maybe I’m back in the game.

I finally got things working again. One of my Nvidia driver updates apparently left out a CUDA file that F@H needed for the GPU WUs. I couldn’t run until another update came out.

instead of sitting in a bag doing nothing, laptop is being left in the office out of hours now on Folding :slight_smile:

So back to 2active crunchers :smiley:

DT.

Good to see Kamiles back up to full speed. We’re doing a better job overtaking some of the groups that previously stomped us. :stomp:

Hoofa!! Kamiles just shifted into overdrive! Looks like he doubled his GPU output. It’s staggering. :jealous:

Looking forwards to Black Friday myself, time to get a rig back in the game …

They have Black Friday in England?

Yep! They started it a few years back. Some of the sites like Ebuyer have Black Friday discount days which can be good if you’ve been waiting for that certain GPU :slight_smile:

rumour has it that a lot of retailers are going to start the deals and bargains up to 7 days before the day of blackness

I suspect it is an effort to lesson web-server load!

Last year or two worth of Black Fridays were rather disappointing. Small discounts on stuff that didn’t matter unless you were looking at it anyway. Must have been a few years back, I did score a 960GB SSD for £150. Not even close to that now with price rises…

Here in the states, retailers are starting to withdraw from the Black Friday madness. A couple of major chains have announced they won’t be participating this year. Things are getting to the point where it’s not worth it for the stores: People lining up outside the store the night before, then expecting store employees to be policing the line overnight and criticizing the store when the employees have the gall to go home to bed.

Yes Winter is coming so need to warm up the house and the garage with something useful. :smiley:

dropping a few units in - this 1060 doesn’t do much for heating the room, may need to get a few more !

DT.

looks like I’ve chosen to drop a few units in when there is a bit of congestion on the stats servers

Despite logs showing units sent, no points yet - ah well, leave machine on for a bit longer to get a PPD rate

It was Stanford that caused the stats issue. This seems to happen every holiday break - more than a couple days off and their stats server bites the dust. This time they identified the problem on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), but nobody was going to be back in to fix it until Monday. It makes you wonder how many times the server craps-out during the normal weeks and we just don’t notice it because they fix it the same day. They need to update the squirrels running in their generator cage.

a least the points did roll in - reminded me of the days of Seti Queue and :bigdump: :slight_smile:

Before the site goes static, I thought I’d mention my upgrade. I had to cash in my pension to pay off a ton of accumulated debt, and after all that was accomplished I still had about $10,000 left over. What to do? Buy a pair of EVGA GTX 1080 FTW cards with the intention of running them SLI! :trophy:

So the cards come in and the only way I can get them to both register as “present” is when they are in slots PE1 and PE2. This butts them up against each other with the ACX 3.0 fans of the upper card and the backplate of the lower card virtually kissing each other. Running F@H in this configuration sends the upper card almost immediately into 100% fan speed due to almost no airflow between the cards. Unusable. :doh: I’m again faced with “What to do?”

The answer has been around for a while but I’ve resisted jumping in that particular pool. Liquid cooling. As a former sonar tech in the navy and over 20 years in IT, the thought of intentionally running liquids around energized electronic components has the makings of a horror story to me but in this case… I had to overcome my fear. I purchased one of those starter kits from ekwb and proceeded to liquid cool not only the CPU (the kit comes with a CPU water block) but I also purchased a water block for the top EVGA GTX 1080 card. All told the expense for liquid cooling came to about $450 US. I’m sure there are cheaper ways to do this, but in my case the advantage of a matched set of components in the kit along with the addition of a GPU water block from the same company made things much less stressful and I can happily state that after a day of operation I see no leaks.

With the CPU and one GPU in the cooling loop, the liquid stabilized at 33°C and both devices are notably cooler than before. :trophy:

How has this affected F@H? Previously I had a single GTX 970 in my system and I averaged about 340,000 points per day when the CPU and GPU work was combined. With everything else the same, running two GTX 1080 cards along with the CPU has upped my daily average to ~1,510,000 per day. That’s still not enough to catch Kamiles, but at least he won’t be pulling away from me so fast. :smiley:

BTW: The fact that they’re in SLI configuration doesn’t seem to help or hinder F@H

wowsers - nice commitment to the science there !