Any spare GPU power available - Nividia only

At Mackerel suggestion starting a new thread on this…

Since dropping down to 2 crunchers, I decided to have a nosey around for similar projects to Docking but which used a CUDA client so as not to interfere with my Docking output - and I found one in GPUGRID. After running it on a 9500GT ( which only cost a tenner) I have decided to upgrade to a GTS450… All being well I’ll be getting another card within the next couple of months so both systems will be GPU crunching as well as Docking.

Sadly, looking at the team position, we are not even in the top 100 (#165)… Is anybody else willing to join me… Surely some of you can spare some GPU power to get us up into the top 100!!! The bad thing is it is currently only runs on NVIDIA cards…

Mortlake is our biggest contributor on this project, but sadly has retired.

Me and mackerel are crunching it in addition to Docking… anybody else care to join us?

GPUGRID works on short deadlines (5 Days) and awards bonuses for quick turnarounds.

The X6 seemed to have taken an allergic reaction to the nvidia 450 so that’s now off. The 560 is still going, but looking at my task history there’s a couple that errored out. Haven’t look it up yet, is there any known issue there?

Had a couple error out as well, still learning about the project myself. Will try and read up on the project forum…

Perhaps Mortlake might be able to help us with some tech support…

One of the reasons apart from the science that I crunch GPUGrid at all is that the rewards are very high compared to other BOINC projects , On the flip side however - there are a couple of niggles which limit my participation - as in all projects there are WUs that fail - but there is no compensation for time spent, i.e. no partial score , also WUs are also regularly cancelled by the server occasionally minutes from completion, again without any score, although this is less common now. Unlike SETI, GPUGrid and Folding are far more sensitive to over-clocking - I suppose that longer WUs have a greater propensity to cumulative errors and so you need to reign in the speed a bit.
The best place for information about bad WUs and driver issues is as always the project forum.

backon will see how things go

Well, in a matter of 3 days we have already climbed a couple of places…

Still waiting for my bargain priced GTS 450 to arrive… and sadly missed out on another “new and unused” one that went for £40 yesterday… :frowning:

GTS450 arrived today… card wasn’t recognised at first, but after uninstalling then re-installing the NVidia drivers all came good… and it is now crunching merrily away. :smiley:

Switched the 9500GT to my X6 system to crunch occasional CPUGRID WUs… It will get upgraded with the proceeds of the sale of a mobo/cpu bundle to a certain fellow cruncher… :xfinger:

:soapbox: 1st WU on the GTS 450 error’ed out at about 95%… I knew I shouldn’t have pissed about with the clock speeds whilst it was running!!!

:smiley: you can guarantee that if a WU has just started you can faff around with the clocks to your hearts content. it will only fail when you expect it to.
the moment it gets past 80% the slightest tweak sends it over the edge, and it always seems to be the high value units as well. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Mortlake;462272]:smiley: you can guarantee that if a WU has just started you can faff around with the clocks to your hearts content. it will only fail when you expect it to.
the moment it gets past 80% the slightest tweak sends it over the edge, and it always seems to be the high value units as well. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sod’s Law strikes again!!!

My X6 has been running Boinc 6.2.18 for ages without a hitch, but today decided to update it to a CUDA enabled version… well, it just didn’t want to play ball at all, kept failing on uninstall… Eventually got it updated but it ended up cosing the old host ID… :furious:

So now, it is slowly munching it’s way through a unit…

Now then, my next card… 460 or 550? They both seem to be roughly the same price… :Plot:

So far i’m well impressed with the output of the GTS450… not bad for a card that only cost me £47…

The 9500GT has been switched to SETI until my next upgrade…

Have you tweaked the card or left it at stock after the crashes you had earlier Fiend?

I’ve tweaked it slightly above the “out of the box” speed and it hasn’t error’ed since that first one…

My 1055T cruncher is now running a GTX550ti and is now happily crunching away after it suffered HDD problems over the weekend… A 14 months old Seagate decided to start playing up - luckily I was able to clone the drive and it’s back up and running, and the Seagate will be replaced under warranty.

The 9500GT card has now found a home in my HTPC due to it’s passive cooling, and is now retired from CUDA crunching…

Well, we’ve managed to stop the slide and slow progress is being made in the right direction… #156 and still climbing!!! :thumbsup:

I just tried to lend a hand, but doesn’t seem to like my rig at all :frowning:
http://www.gpugrid.net/results.php?userid=1525

DT.

Tossed my GPU in for a bit. Will wait to see if there are any issues.

Edit Just noticed the first WU is 43+ hours long!!! :eek:

[QUOTE=Egad;462468]Tossed my GPU in for a bit. Will wait to see if there are any issues.

Edit Just noticed the first WU is 43+ hours long!!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

That’s one of the long work units… you can select short or long ones. I only do the short ones. You can select the type of units in the project preferences.

If it completes within 24 hours you will get a nice little bonus for that unit.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;462466]I just tried to lend a hand, but doesn’t seem to like my rig at all :frowning:
http://www.gpugrid.net/results.php?userid=1525

DT.[/QUOTE]

:frowning:

Try another couple of units and see what happens.

Another thing to try would be to run BOINC 6.10.60 instead of the latest releases.

The GTX460 returned it’s first WU. It was a “long run” one, estimated to be 43+ hours, but only took 20 hours. I think their estimation formula might be off just a bit. Nice amount of credit for it though: 56K for 20 hours worth of work.

http://www.gpugrid.net/result.php?resultid=4446370

The next two are not “long runs” as I disabled that option. Might turn it back on again to see if those repeatedly come in under 20 hours.