Behold the magnificence

Perfect for you TF !

Paintwork looks better than mine but I bet its a 2.0 auto or a 1.9 Dismal.

Besides, if I wanted to look silly driving around all I have to do is fix the drivers door (Window, lock, central locking basically every single part of a door apart from the bloody hinges) and the gearbox than I could be rollin the mean streets of Oxford in this Bad Boi(l)

https://flic.kr/p/2hhPPZ1

You and Gearboxes don’t get on.
Some history here i believe ?

Buy a JCB.

Took the Micra for an MOT.
CV’s fixed, Brakes AsboSlutly magnificent all round, even black lines from the fronts, no lock up at the rear so the balance valve works, handbrake turns work in both directions.
It even has more fizz than I expected for a 1.0.

Failed on emissions, in a Biblical manner, its parting gift was to conjure the ghostly fog of the River Styx and clear the garage during the emissions test.

I was sitting in the waiting room on my phone, yep brake test done, bit of revs and back down.
Ah the emissions test, ok.
more revs this time and back down.
LOTS of revs, and back down
ALLL! of the revs, Eleventy thousand for about thirty seconds and a small but audible bang.
Then it boiled over, test aborted.
From the bang and smoke I expected to see at least one rod on the floor under the car,

In short the water pump has a cast iron impeller, it spins at three times engine revs and the car seems to have no rev limiter.

I haven’t summoned the motivation to yank the water pump but it sounds like a blender full of marbles now.

Shit cars are shit even when they are a disposable hobby/passtime

shoot the tester!

Guessing they revved to “clean” to try the test again? The age old, give it a blast on the motorway.

Can’t believe the tester killed it like that :frowning: You cleaned it and everything!

Oh my shitting dog, there are people prepared to disable the rev limiter on a feckin 1.0 Micra to save 0.5 (ish) on a quarter mile run.
On a top fuel dragster this would be a class winning advantage but the unverified gains on a micra are “Drum roll”

“I also made 4 quarter mile test runs with and without limiter using GPS based Racechrono in a mobile phone as a measuring device. 17.6 s and 17.5 s without limiter and 18.1 s with limiter.”

If I open the distributor and find gaffer tape I may well just set fire to the bloody thing now

I tried getting the distributor cap off today and snapped off a stupidly small bolt.
5.5mm FFS not 5, that would be TOOO small,
not 6mm that would be stupidly BEEEEG.

5.5 is just right to rust in solid and snap in the middle.

I have a hedge made of sturdy branches.
I will push this car to where the CCTV doesn’t cover and unleash my inner John Cleese quite soon.

On Monday the MAF sensor is coming out for a spot of resolder action, its running way too rich and apparently the PCB cracks at the joints, all the more likely if it spent the last years on the road revving its tits off.

so which Pizza delivery driver was listed as previous owner?

I bought another car.
A shiny car which crucially at the time of purchase, worked and has ONE WHOLE YEAR of Mot!

For three days I got in, drove places I was allowed to go to and drove home.
Now I remember what cars are supposed to be for, not parked where I cannot see them from the house with incurable maladies but for actually driving.
It isn’t perfect, being parked up over the BatFlu season has made the front discs lumpy under “spirited driving” conditions.

Then I went to fill it up and showered my bloody shoes with unleaded.

This bit passed an MOT just over a week ago.
It may look like Colin The Carrot with a pony-tail but its the fuel filler and vent pipe.

Having extracted the remnants and swept up most of it, here it is next to a new one that isn’t made of rust, hope and added lightness, just for comparison.

The black one fits an EVO FQ400 so my new car is partially converted to rally spec, Right ?

I thought flaky MOT’s had been eradicated but I suppose the new workplace diversity and disability legislation means the next Stevie Wonder must be working somewhere as an MOT tester.
I think I know where he is.

1 Like

errrmmmm, well my latest addition to the collection was made in simpler times (1935)

Its probably perspective playing tricks but it does look like you must have unbolted the front wings and bumper just to get it through the doors.

Imported from Aus/SA ?
Shows as first registered overseas

Perspective for sure, it’s so simple to get through the doors compared to the other 2.

Complete punt/gamble purchase, 0 history with it!

Did LXS come from the museum at Hull ?

Having a history for a car takes much of the FUN* out of ownership, though sometimes its a bit like a game of bloody Cluedo.
I bought a boring Mitsubishi, after listening to waffle about “One owner, always serviced, I have the folder in the office” there was no folder of service history but with a bit of haggling it came at less than the sticker price with new tyres and pads all round, Oil, Filter and cambelt* and a whole year of MOT!

When I brimmed the tank, my shoes became smelly, an MOT isn’t much of a guarantee really, to the MOT testser it looked alright in the dark on a day last week, so have a certificate.

It didnt take a lot of hunting to find the leak, can you guess which is the old bit and which is the new Chinesium Copy ?

*FUN

Trailing link bushes are a bit clonky too but it handles well regardless.

*Cambelt
May have been changed but there are no fresh handprints on the cam belt cover…

It makes a rorty noise and has to do 5000 miles without exploding to break even.
Cambelt roulette adds to the fun.

teehee - smelly shoes :slight_smile: I know someone who managed to shut a petrol station for an entire day as they didn’t notice that the fuel pipe from filler to tank had come off. Basically they poured a tank load of fuel straight into the back seat …

I don’t think the Hull collection had a 12, but I do know that a number of the cars that were there are being heavily avoided by collectors. They are now “labelled” a Marshall Car in the groups, here’s an example …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humber-Imperial-landaulette-limousine-1950-easy-project-runs-well-/333864611941

Now if you know Humber, apparently this hood doesn’t match a true landaulette and is suspected to be a cut-n-shut. That’s seemingly the least of the issues though as they also have no chassis number as they’ve been ground off and the DVLA will simply refuse a registration doc, so would most likely have to be a Q-Plate with a SVA. When the DVLA are aware of the entire collection for the wrong reasons time to avoid!

watch this - another Humber from the collection sold with the alleged history of a Royal Car

spoiler - it didn’t end well

the plot thickens, so on many 12 pictures, the read plate isn’t under the bumper like mine is, but on a bracket - see here

Now I’ve come across the bracket in the car, and this plate!

Crops up in a few photos, I did wonder if the plate was a fake plate and the car has been used for film work ?
The XX NNNN plate format seems to be on older cars.

I think its really a 1930’s cruise plate for restrained cruises
“SO 5116” reads " Sooo Siiiix" from a time before they had the phrase “Innit Bruv” and Maccy D’s wasn’t even a thing.

I have made enquires…

1 Like

1 Like

fantastic work - a new avenue of research!

I’m told that the plate is a AU rego, but all online stuff in AU requires payment and something never change! I’m hunting through forums and facebook groups. Oddly since it was advertised with the pictures from where I got it, they’ve been shared multiple times.