My new sub box

Designed & built a new box for my subwoofer…trimmed it last night. :smiley:

Boot floor will be trimmed the same. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Audi owners club will revoke your membership if you do :smiley:

Haha that thing is nuts! I like the carpet…nice and bright :smiley:

You must drive a pink Cadillac with a nipple red roof and wear a wide brim white hat with a feather! :lol:

Originally posted by MAOJC
You must drive a pink Cadillac with a nipple red roof and wear a wide brim white hat with a feather! :lol:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Originally posted by MAOJC

Is that like the guy in starsky and hutch :confused: … can’t remember his name tho :smiley:

… or am I way off track ? :rolleyes:

/edit … huggy bear ??

Originally posted by Lucifer

ROFL… :chuckle:

How’s that work then? Souldn’t the speaker be inside the box?

Originally posted by Ciccio
How’s that work then? Souldn’t the speaker be inside the box?

i think its becos its a sub, and its the movement of the air inside the box that creates the bass…

It doesn’t really make any odds if it’s an open-basket design driver. If your sub has a nice arse, it’s a shame not to show it!

My Fusion Monobloc should be here tomorrow…woohoo! Looking good for coming up to Mojo’s, so you may get a chance for a listen Ciccio. :slight_smile:

How many Mr.Blobbys you skin for that cover? :smiley:

Originally posted by Bibby
Looking good for coming up to Mojo’s, so you may get a chance for a listen Ciccio. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t that be feel the bass? :smiley:

Originally posted by andrew
i think its becos its a sub, and its the movement of the air inside the box that creates the bass…

I won’t go too deep into it but…the movement of the cone generates the sound waves. The box does a few things, one being it acts as a baffle.

With an open-basket like a sub, you have sound waves in front of the cone, and also behind (as it’s not a sealed basket). The box prevents the front & rear signals from cancelling each other out…which is the baffle bit.

The box also acts as a damping force (the air is compressed to an extent by the action of the driver) and stops the driver from resonating itself to pieces.

The port (the open tube at the side) means the box is a vented enclosure. Using this design allows you to “tune” the box to a certain frequency…a frequency at with the “volume” will be louder. The air that’s being moved in the port will also generate sound as well as the driver. The internal volume of the enclosure and the port characteristics will determine the tuning frequency. These have to be determined by the parameters of the driver, as they’re not all the same. Get the mix right and the sound from the port will be in relative phase to the sound from the face of the driver (or the back in this case). This gives you the extra output at whatever low-frequency you’ve tuned it to.

A sealed enclosure generally gives a smoother response curve, so is better (in theory) for sound-quality applications. They’re also a bit more forgiving when it comes to getting the right size for the driver.

Pretty much any driver, regardless of cost, can be made to sound good simply by the enclosure it’s in. More expensive does not necessarily mean better. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Preecey
How many Mr.Blobbys you skin for that cover? :smiley:

I still have the top false floor to do yet! :smiley:

Base floor is getting some vinyl…fake leather type stuff. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Bibby
Looking good for coming up to Mojo’s, so you may get a chance for a listen Ciccio. :slight_smile:

Excellent, I like the sound of that :slight_smile:

Retrimmed the base floor in fake leather today, and reinstalled the lot, including the Jonah Lomu amp which turned up today.

:boggle:

How loud??? I think I could very easily kill my sub with it if I’m not careful!

Got the top floor to do, and some soundproofing too (this weekend), but I don’t think I’ll eliminate all the rattles in the boot. Not now, anyway. :smiley:

Cool

I’ve just finished going round google and Max Power looking for someone that does a fascia, with no luck, time to visit autoleads for a single DIN and generic DIN pocket methinks.

Never mind m8. Good thing is though, if you ever decide to fit a dvd player, in-dash line driver/equaliser, anything like that, you have the advantage of the extra din slot. :slight_smile:

True, doubt it though, just want plenty of bass. :slight_smile:

Some right dingbats out there, here was my question

"I’m after a Double DIN fascia for an Audi A4. So far I’ve not been able to find one anywhere, hoping you can help. The details are:-

Audi A4 2.5 Tdi
September 2000 (X reg)
Audi Symphony stereo (Double DIN)

And I want to replace the stereo so am after a facia.

Attached are a few photos of the current stereo. The measurements are

Across the top = 256mm
Across the bottom = 235mm
Height = 118mm

So it’s tapered slightly as well."

With 2 pics showing the current stereo. Here was one reply

"weWe stock the Autoleads facia pieces, part no FP-05-03 see Autolesds web site. Please note that this is not a double din size.

Regards, Rooger. "

Talk about professional :rolleyes: Roooooooooooooooooger. Try and get your name right m8!

LMAO…:smiley:

You want bass? What kind of music do you listen to? Is it varied?

I’ve always used a sealed box in the past, and they’ve been great, but this car’s been a right bitch. The ported box has worked well…the sound quality isn’t quite as good as a sealed box (whether you can actually tell the difference is questionable at volume!), but jeez, it’s bassy!