Resizing partions...effect on fedora

When i set up my server it already had a working XP install on it. I installed partion magic, resized it down to half way and free’d up the other half for my now restricted for size fedora install.

do you think i can resize the xp install and make the fedora partion bigger without fubar’n fedora ?

Or do we think a new hard drive is a better idea, which incidentally, having read the instructions still sound daunting :eek:

Yes you can - although personally I’d add a new partition to Fedora in the free space you get shrinking the XP partition, rather than try and resize the Fedora one to make it bigger - no specific information which says you can’t do this but I think it’s probably safer.

An existing disk with a new partition only needs a one-liner in /etc/fstab to mount it and a format - not as daunting as you think.

Just post up when/if you need a hand.

More when than if :slight_smile:

Time has come, i’ve just put a 80gig drive as slave on second channel… can i have a little guidence on what to do next please :slight_smile:

Bios sees the drive :thumbsup:

Secondary slave should be /dev/hdd

Use fdisk from command prompt to prep the drive and create a partition on it (primary, secondary, whatever). If single partition I’m guessing this will be /dev/hdd1. Make sure to rewrite the partition table before exiting fdisk.

Use mkfs.ext3 to format it mkfs.ext3 -L /second /dev/hdd1 (the “-L /second” puts a label of “/second” on the disk and is optionsal)

Create a mount point for it (basically a directory). So to mount it on /second as root mkdir /second

Test mount it: mount /dev/hdd1 /second

Play with the drive, make sure it’s useable.

To permanently mount it add a line to /etc/fstab somthing like…

label=/second /second ext3 1 2 (if you formatted with a label, or)
/dev/hdd1 /second ext3 1 2 (if you didn’t)

HTH

Have a Fedora on line reference for good cheer…http://fedoranews.org/tchung/storage/

MkI didn’t go so well and now it fails trying to boot due to not being able to mount /second.

I’m probably going to need a little help getting out of this because it won’t boot past that point, looks like i need to do some command line type stuff again. I know the problem occured after i added the line to fstab, so i need to be able to edit that file from the command line if its possable ?

Yes it is.
Two ways to do it

1. boot from the CD and do a linux rescue
  2. boot it to single user mode

I use option two mostly. (from memory)
At start up when it gives you a countdown press a cursor key to select a kernel and press e to edit, append the word single to this line and press enter.
Its a non volatile change, affects this boot only.
Press b to boot and it should come up in single user mode

vi /etc/fstab
put a # before the line you added for disk two

I think the disk label may not match the fstab entry

Thanks TFW, will try that tonight :slight_smile:

ooops cocked up the fstab entries, really sorry Peige
should read:

label=/second /second ext3 defaults 1 2 (if you formatted with a label, or)
/dev/hdd1 /second ext3 defaults 1 2 (if you didn’t)

Probably safer to ignore my ramblings and follow Mr Chung’s most h’excellent guide (which tells you to do it exactly the same way but is millions of times easier to understand and free of typos)

You can also label a disk without using mkfs, just in case its currently full of data you want to keep!

e2label /dev/sda1 /second

:slight_smile:

Done it, i hadn’t done the label bit properly as you guys thought, ran through a combination of Mr Chun, Mojo and TFW and got there :slight_smile:

Now have a folder called second that has 80gigs free, seems wierd to us windows monkeys but i’m there now thanks :flip:

Even Windows has its issues. Win 98 was reporting my new 80gig HD as only having 3.4 gig, even after I’d converted it to FAT32 format. Partition Magic sorted that out and I’ve got three lovely big partitions to play with now :smiley:

:trophy: Nice one, bet you could do that without any help now huh?
Win2k and XP will let you mount partitions on folders I do believe, so not that different…

I think your right… or at least i would know where to look to get the info needed to do it :lol:
VI was fun, theres a program with a whole load of guessing as to how to work it, google was my friend :wink:

I find ‘nano’ is a nice little editor on command line stuff. ‘yum install nano’ :slight_smile:

DT.

gedit is also easy to use assuming you are within X-Windows, personally VI was the first editor I used on unix and I’ve got used to it, for editing command lines and config files it can be surprisingly powerful.

Pah!

cat
<ctrl-d>

All you need for editing, anything more elaborate is over featured :hat:

plus vi has a “bang” command :smiley:

Back when it was always men that programed :smiley:

Tonight’s experiment will be plugging in a maxtor onetouch usb and seeing if it works, my money is on yes because my keyfob usb drive worked on fedora and that shocked me… I’m prepared to be surprised by the external hard drive.

Its ether that or spend 24 hours copying it across the wireless network :eek:

Looks like its 24 hours then :lol:

In brief i can mount the drive and format / use for linux but as far as i can see i won’t be able to just read the drive as is.

And i was so confident :flip:

As a side line question and answer to the same problem, is it possable for fedora to see a windows partion on a drive and read it ? I was thinking that i could boot to xp, move the data over using the maxtor and then boot to Fedora and move it across drives ?