Swiftech MCX462+T (TEC cooling on air)

Here is a picture and the product link for starters…

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx462plusT.asp (AMD version)
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCX4000-T.asp (P4 version)

I have been playing with this for the past few days and I have to say that I am very impressed. I do NOT think it is for everyone, but if you can feed it with a high cfm fan, such as a Vantec Tornado, and duct some good time winter air onto it, you may just be able to turn in some incredible temperatures.

That’s a picture of my rig being fired up this morning. :slight_smile:

And that’s a picture of it warmed up running SETI@home.

As you can see, it does allow for sub-ambient cooling given the right setup.

If you do go the route of “ducted” cooling, there is another HUGE benefit… that air will cool your memory and chipset. Even though there is a TEC on top of my processor, the Tornado is moving the air so fast that it(the air) stays cold. Result, an almost freezing memory stick and chipset heatsink. :slight_smile:

The setup:
AMD XP2400+
Epox 8K9A2+
Swiftech MCX462+T
Vantec Tornado 80mm 84cfm
Sparkle 350 power supply(w/ pots)
ATI Xpert 2000 Pro(I know, I know) :wink:
Radio Shack 25A 12V Power Supply(for TEC & Tornado)

As you can see, the TEC requires a beefy power supply. Swiftech recommends dedicating at least 18A on the 12v line just for the TEC. The RS power supply I’m using is rated for 25A@13.8V so it probably will push close to 30A at the 12.4V I have it set for.

The bottom line… I’ve been able to run over 2300MHz with this chip on air so that’s no big deal. What is a big deal is that I needed 2.2V to do it. :eek: Now with this air-TEC(and some cold winter air), I only need 1.9V. :thumbsup:

M8y I am glad you have been testing one of these out as it has been said by many that no way would it cope with a 220w Tec

The fact you got it running and getting decent temps shows that they have done something right.

I think the fact in itself that its an all in one design probably
helps out getting more heat away and dispersed than a DIY design of petlier + heatsink combo.

Think the word COOL springs to mind :smiley:
So much so its now a review thread :slight_smile:

Thanks Jeff, very interesting

Any news on a P4 version ??

Just playin’ around to see how high I can get a WCPUID snapshot at.

Not bad for 1.95V! :wink:

Originally posted by Wallis

Keep an eye out at the Swiftech site. Or try writing them to see if it’s in the works.

Originally posted by Wallis

This may be what you are looking for http://www.overclock.co.uk/moreinfo.php?id=629

Originally posted by PMM
So much so its now a review thread :slight_smile:

Like you said… :cool:

Originally posted by Jeff F.
[B]

Just playin’ around to see how high I can get a WCPUID snapshot at.

Not bad for 1.95V! :wink: [/B]

we wanna see some seti bencmarks m8ty

Did you get this from Swiftech Online store? What fan you running?

PS you gonna kick Gandi’s @rse on air? :chuckle:

pretty damn close with that 2.222 one! :eek:

Did you get this from Swiftech Online store? What fan you running?

Yep and the Vantec Tornado(80mm and 84.1cfm).

PS you gonna kick Gandi’s @rse on air?

:smiley: You’ll just have to wait 'til Mulda updates the benchie page. :devil:

2.1867 for those who can’t wait.

Originally posted by Jeff F.
[B]

Yep and the Vantec Tornado(80mm and 84.1cfm).

:smiley: You’ll just have to wait 'til Mulda updates the benchie page. :devil:

2.1867 for those who can’t wait. [/B]

AMD ROCKS! Just bought a MSI K7D-L Master and 3 XP2400!

One to use in a little project I am gonna try that has a special bit of cooling planned.

My result was corrupt Mr. Major. :frowning: I didn’t catch it right away but our good friend Mulda broke the case wide open. :wink:

I’ll have another go after I tweak a bit more. I should be able to get under 2.200 but I’m not sure it’ll be good enough for Mr. Gandelf’s benchie.

Mmmm, Good work Jeff :nod: and Ouch that was a close one…

Makes me wonder what I’d get with this xp2400 in the super fridge :wink:

Tho’ seriously think I’d do the P4 volt mod first, as that should be good for a 100 Mhz…

Gandelf

heh Jeff any more benchies on that XP2400 with the super dooper fantastic air-cooler? :chuckle:

Ran the benchie a couple more times Major and here are two results, both at ~2445MHz…

2.1688 running 222x11
and
2.1419 running 232x10.5

I haven’t maxed this new chip out yet but I want to make sure I get a couple “good” results in first. :wink:

Nice one Jeff, I will hopefully hit that region with my current setup when I have sorted my RAMBUS VRIMM mod on Tuesday / Wednesday

Lets see what 2.436 becomes when coupled with an extra 25% memory bandwidth, secretly hoping for 2.2xx

Well on the MSI K7D XP2400+ locked I just got a 2.8 on air as a first pass with hardly any tweaking. Figure after a bit of this & that 2.5 should be real doable.

Just playing a little bit with the cold weather we’ve been having. :wink: It was -15c outside this morning so I thought I’d see what the air-TEC could do with a little idle CPU time. :smiley:

but i have a question. im running on the a7n8x/2400+/xms3000 and can only manage 2.3 out of it with 1.75, any more v and my temps go into the 40’s, even though my basement is around 20-25C, mb temp is around 32C.

and this isnt even stable. prime95 and superpi report errors after or before the first round. could o/cing my video card as well cause this instability. im beginning the think its the ram…

anyone else have any ideas???

any help would be appreciated!! :smiley: