The TPR Way ?

Over the past couple of days I have had some bad rep points… my complaint isnt about the bad feedback as…it should be given where due!

But I dont understand the reasoning behind the feedback :confused: ?
see for yourselof as I have taken a screenshot…
feedback doesnt bother me anymore but I come here to discuss things problems I have and to help in anyway I can… answering a simple question really that bad by saying none ? I dont think so…

I would really like to let people know that I really didnt know what channel the superbowl was on and the last I heard the rights where in a game of tennis and after an hour of googling and clicking hindreds of links I couldnt find what channel it was on… thats why I asked !!

also foul language in my feedback comments really isnt on…

do as you see fit with this thread… I thought this would be the best place for it… this is an open forum ans thus I wanted everyone to know that I had a problem!!

Personally can’t really see a problem with your posts in either thread. Its general chitchat. If every post had to be deep and meaninful it would be a realy boring place in here.
Have a rep point back.

thank you balrog, and thanks for the rep, I dont like the name calling though… kinda wanted to know who done it… but I understand that its private… and thus I wont know !

Thank you again!

I too have noticed that people hand out bad rep like sweeties…I remember that crap it caused when i first objected to the rep system at the very beginning, i could see this coming, it breeds bad feelings and resentment IMO…but i was told to basically shutup, so i did…and now i look at my rep and think ‘whatever :rolleyes:’.

No doubt this post will be repped silly. My answer has not changed. Whatever.

All I’ll say is comments left are generally a reflection of one’s postings
and I’m sure we have covered this senerio before with yourself.

I can understand why you get comments like that, and your relative young
age may account for some of that.

What a lot of people need to remember is that alot of post’s are created
for sensible dicussion.

Post’s that adding nothing to such a thread can be frowned upon by many
when there wanting a sensible chit chat and a thread not to go off topic
due to silly posts.

Some people will be happy to ignore those posts, some are going to reflect it via
reputation.

While the Super bowl one might be a little unjust It surprise me that you could
not google it.

I Just attempted a googling just now and…

In January 2006, ITV takes over from Five as the terrestrial broadcaster with their coverage of the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl XL.

Taken from the 1st entry displayed.

// We know you can make sensible dicussion and sensible posts, so maybe just
take a little longer before posting and read back to yourself what you have put
before submitting it ? and give your self a chance to re-word if necessary.

I like to think I have gained valueable experience from taking onboard the
negative rep I have received over time and hope that my posting’s have taken
that negative rep into account and makes for better postings by me.

Tbh i find that if someone asks a question, even if it is abit inane, telling them to go and RTFG is somewhat antisocial. If someone asked you in the street how to get somewhere, you wouldent tell them to go find a map and then leave a little anonymous note in thier wallet saying you think theyre a pleb, would you?

I find it strange that two of those rep points are a minute apart. This either means there are two people negrepping you, or someone repped 4 or 5 other people in between them. At least, my understanding of the rep system seems to point to that.

I don’t see a problem with any of your posts in question. In the BBC Big Read, you did just answer the question. It didn’t really add much, but it was an answer and an opinion. I don’t think it’s right to negrep you for that.

And yeah, it’s unnecessary to call you that. That’s out of order, imo.

I’ve been active on many forums (12+) but maybe only 4 or so in very recent times. I’ve only recently joined TPR and this is the first forum I’ve joined that uses Rep points.

TBH, I’m somewhat puzzled about them, about the need for them or the desire to have this function. I would have imagined that this system can only lead to grief such as in this case - I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. Maybe it does but as a newbie I’m not aware of it.

I’ll be quite honest here. When I saw the rep points I did think twice about joining. A good forum becomes a great forum due to the community that evolves. This is solely down to the individual members and their relationship to each other. I cannot see how the rep system can enhance this in any way :confused:

my €2

TBH i think the superbowl question was a valid question and i dont see why anyone would get upset about it.
I come out with some dribble somtimes and i have had no negative rep points.
I dont really see what the problem is with that post.
and i aslo think the neg rep points are out of order.
Andy :slight_smile:

I think a consensus is starting to form here…

What does everyone think?

@ 2blu4u: very eloquent :slight_smile:

Personally i thought they were a good idea…but if they are going to be used for abuse rather thanopinions that are valid then i say scrap em.

If you don’t like them can’t you disable them for yourself anyway ?

Dont think so peige, at least ive never seen that option.

Think it might be time for a poll. Democracy in action eh.

Just had a search and i can’t find an option now.

It was an option to switch it off yourself don’t ask me where though never had the
urge to switch it off.

Its a shame really when rep. seems to always be brought up as an issue
by MC & bin and not really anyone else.

Maybe a poll is required… To settle this issue because I would not like
to withdraw something that 99.9% of the members appear happy with.

And its not going to be withdraw for the unhappyness of a couple of users.

I would say best have an admin look into the turning on/off and if your
unhappy…‘Turn it off’.

If the Admin say that function is no longer available then yes have a poll to settle the matter.

For info - an Admin can see who has given out rep. and also remove rep comments.

If you receive rep. that you feel is unjustified, talk to an Admin and we can, hopefully, either sort it out or at least shed some more light on why the bad rep was given in the first place.

And I would also add that Bin ‘lost’ 10 points from that neg rep but has gained 30 from the ‘sympathy vote’ here.

The more rep someone has, the more points you gain (or lose) from rep. given by them.

The rep system was well discussed before it was introduced. I know some expressed mixed feelings but, on the whole, it seems to be working. Perhaps now people know that they can take the issue up with an Admin people will be a little more relaxed about rep. I can guarantee that if I find someone ‘abusing’ the rep system I will not hesitate in manually adjusting their rep!

I have had a quick look and cannot see a control in the Admin panel which will re-activate someones ability to turn off rep - but DT is much better at this than me so he may know where I should be looking (the panel is not wholly logical!) so please bear with us on this.

Thanks Alta :slight_smile:

Whilst im with Neal in feeling that rep doesent make any sense in an environment like TPR, im not going to be all militant about it, now that ive had a little think and with retrospect.

So well see where this goes, w/o starting a big slapping match okay ladies :wink:

What’s a bad rep :wink:

if I think someone has posted a silly reply, I usually post another silly reply to tell them :smiley:

:thumbsup: That’s the way to do it.

I quite like the rep.

I have save it for when people really do something good or I can finally leave another one on that persons doorstep if they do something regularly (ie stats posts).

I also save the bad rep for posts that really get on my nerves. While I’ll quit e happily admit, I dont always leave a comment.

I also dont post meaningful discussions…and I’ve had a fair share of bad rep…but even when I had my drunken post thread…http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=34644 :rolleyes:

I mean I had about 5 bad rep points for that (works out to -50 I think) but not one person called me a bad name in the comments.