Ubuntu 7.04

Out tomorrow:D

Damn I thought it was today!
Anyhow I’ll try and grab this tomorrow through the torrents. The upgrade to 6.10 was slow downloading via Synaptic.

It is out now. Maybe you looked a bit early? Anyway, downloading now :slight_smile:

Ah it’s probably out in Pacific time or whatever you yanks use. Downloading now as well :smiley:

Interesting that ther realising it via Jigdo as well. Which I’d never heard of.

Jigdo

First came across that from Debian. Good in theory but the tools were not friendly at the time and requires more space. Maybe more useful if the world was still on dial-up, but we’re not :stuck_out_tongue:

Downloaded it from the update manager in from 6.10 last night. This morning rebooted and found it messed about with nVidia drivers. It was random whether or not it would boot up using them as I’d booted up fist to 800x600 then to 1290x1024 then to 800x600 again. And the network was screwed up.

Stupid me then reinstalled. First tried a bit of FC5 and that let me down again. The documentation for FC5 isn’t as widespread, helpful and as easy to find as Ubuntu’s it seems.

Then tried 7.04 again via disc. This wouldn’t let me install nVidia drivers through there new system.

So I’m back on a fresh install of 6.10…

Have to admit I’ve installed 7.04 but not done much with it yet. I have confirmed it installs and seems to function. Browsed over to my windows shares, and attempting to play back an mpeg4 avi, it said it needed more bits. Downloaded and installed, it now plays avis and mkv files even! Maybe it could have before, but I never looked far enough. It’s one step closer to being main box material now. Now, when will windows games work 100%…

:chuckle:

Admittly it’s new polished look were good but the fact it wasn’t letting view at 120x1024 annoyed me.

Don’t know if you tried this but from the System menu, (I think) there is an option to install the Nvidia drivers for you…you just accept the fact that they are restricted drivers and away it goes…tried it on an old system that was running a fx5500. And it worked fine.

Just incase you didn’t see that when having your quick look.

Marv

[QUOTE=MarvTheRobot;376145]Don’t know if you tried this but from the System menu, (I think) there is an option to install the Nvidia drivers for you…you just accept the fact that they are restricted drivers and away it goes…tried it on an old system that was running a fx5500. And it worked fine.

Just incase you didn’t see that when having your quick look.

Marv[/QUOTE]

I did that at the time but it didn’t like it. I’ve done a fresh install since and everything is a-ok :thumbsup:

Short new users perspective (er… thats a short perspective, not a short user. Not that I’m shortist…)

Last time I had a good look at linux was when everything was command line, and Gnome was a tiddler - but I got totally turned off at the time because recompiling the kernel and having to ‘make’ everything drove me bonkers.

Anyways, found myself with a spare 60 gig drive and a tenners worth of usb enclosure, and a machine that could boot from usb with quick hammer of the <esc> key, so I thought I’d try Fiesty - Kubuntu 7.04.

After a battle with Grub (needed to shift the save bit and shift it from hd1.0 to hd0,0 ) and my mate fixmbr, got the pain in the proverbial to boot :slight_smile:

Having an 8800 gts was the next prob, and spent a while with vesa, before working out how to install the ‘official’ nvidia drivers. I’ll post that if anyonr wants it.

Effectively, I’m a new Linux user, and for the life of me, I’m lovin’ it. I’d forgotten just how nice it is, to get my hands dirty and get dug in there…:smiley:

/edit - I’m almost tempted to dig my Amiga 500 & 1200 from under the bed and see what I can do there… :slight_smile: /endedit

Why not post up? That’s how everyone learns, there’s no manual :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=wheelieslug;376592]After a battle with Grub (needed to shift the save bit and shift it from hd1.0 to hd0,0 ) and my mate fixmbr, got the pain in the proverbial to boot :slight_smile:

Having an 8800 gts was the next prob, and spent a while with vesa, before working out how to install the ‘official’ nvidia drivers. I’ll post that if anyone wants it.[/QUOTE]

I have a comp with Ubuntu 7.04 installed currently it’s only doing folding, so if you could do few post like Mojo suggests, especially the Nvidia driver install not only will it help me but others also, look forward to your write up/guide :slight_smile:

Curly

[QUOTE=wheelieslug;376592]
Having an 8800 gts was the next prob, and spent a while with vesa, before working out how to install the ‘official’ nvidia drivers. I’ll post that if anyonr wants it.[/QUOTE]

How did you have trouble?

In 7.04, you can install the nVidia drivers straight from the System menu (System > Restricted Drivers) or would it not even start up a GUI?

I’ve been using 7.04 now for a good while and contray to my post above about it being awful, I’m now completely swayed and IMHO this is the best Ubuntu yet:ghey:
Shame I have to spend the next 3 months on a windows laptop:sigh: I miss the ease and versatiliy.

Well I went for it again and tried (K)ubuntu…I just prefer KDE that’s all, and I’m having a nightmare…

I’m using an HP xw6000 peice of … well anyway. It has a Matrox Parhelia card in it, which isn’t normally a prob, but with xorg 7.2 it is. I’ve found the ‘unofficial’ driver that will load into 7.2 but when I check in my settings it still says that it’s using VESA, even though xorg is set for ‘mtx’ and I do get the Matrox splash screen when loading GUI.

It’s a strange on GLXinfo return errors which I’m currently working on and I can’t test with ScreenSavers because it’s missing lib files, did a KDE update to 3.5.7 and now Kubuntu won’t load…

What’s really doing my noodle is that Ubuntu Fiesty worked like a dream with the new drivers.???

Might have to convert to Gnome…well that or just buy an NVidia:whiteflag:

Could this help???
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

or to make sure the kernel module is built and installed

fglrx-kernel-build.sh

Cheers Tony

Well scrapped trying to get the Parhelia working as I don’t seem to be the only person having the fault…and the others are alot better in Linux than myself…

Instead I ‘Borrowed’ a computer that has a FX5500, which is fine for what I need, installed Ubuntu 7.04, nv drivers worked fine, then I went and used the nice friendly Restricted Drivers Monitor (which I will admit to recommending blindly…sorry)

Well this enabled GLX like it said it would by dropped my res down to only 800x600 and no amount of xorg.conf amendments would fix it.

Searched 'tinternet for a few hours, was pointed towards the NVidia Legacy drivers, which fixed the res but corrupted GLX…

…Frustrated I just went into synaptic and saw Nvidia-glx-new…hmmm I thought, ahh well can’t be worse… and now have maximum res with the right refresh rate, and Hardware Accelleration to run Oblivion (yes I said run Oblivion on a FX5500, hardly playable but the fact it loads is an achievement)

So moral of the story, if you know how do something one way that works, dont opt for the “I can do that for you option”, and stick to graphics cards that are made by companies that at least ‘pretend’ to accept open sources acheivements and work towards releasing drivers and specs.

My FX5200 runs general office tasks fine. Only problem I do have is on every reboot or Gnome restart I have to type nvidia-settings into the terminal and select my correct res through that menu as it wont give me 1440x900 elsewhere.

And you run Oblivion on Linux?

[QUOTE=drezha;377166]My FX5200 runs general office tasks fine. Only problem I do have is on every reboot or Gnome restart I have to type nvidia-settings into the terminal and select my correct res through that menu as it wont give me 1440x900 elsewhere.

And you run Oblivion on Linux?[/QUOTE]

I don’t run that res so can’t tell you if that’s normal…which driver is it using? like I mentioned the one that the Restricted Drivers thingy loaded, didn’t work 100%, so I installed Nvidia-Glx-New instead and they run sweet as…

And yeah. I like my games and that was the only thing that kept me on Windows… then I saw Cedega, which yes you have to pay £3 a month, but that is mainly because they get the CD Prodection files from the game producers ‘Legally’, which means that you can buy, install and run any game that is supported…it runs HL2, and Oblivion which is a feat…

Did have alot of fun with Beryl as well, I like the stage that it’s at, and that was another reason for me wanting to get my Graphics sorted so quickly.

Yeah I have seen Cedega but not used it.

I use the restricted drivers, straight from the menu. I’m not fussed enough to start adding the new drivers as I hardly reboot the system.

[QUOTE=drezha;377210]Yeah I have seen Cedega but not used it.

I use the restricted drivers, straight from the menu. I’m not fussed enough to start adding the new drivers as I hardly reboot the system.[/QUOTE]

Fair one…just keep it in mind if you run glxinfo and get loads of errors about RGB or GLX stuff missing.