Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It’s released today, although at time of writing the main Ubuntu site still shows the release candidate on front page. But the new version is on some mirrors like this one. Check before downloading, the release candidates have “RC” in the filename where the full version does not.

I’ll grab it when I get home from work. I haven’t kept up to date with the changes over previous version so it’ll be interesting.

gonna give this one a go too, as soon as I get my spare hdd back :wink:

just grabbing now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

tried it live distro… and it knew what to do with my wireless in the lappy :slight_smile: so its a win for me :slight_smile: the only thing ever holding me back has been sorted :slight_smile:

just wished ATI would sort linux drivers id use it desktop then :slight_smile:

Tried it on my lappy - massive problems with the new X being auto configuring - didn’t pick up screen properly and my attempts at hacking xorg.conf ultimately proved disastrous :rolleyes:

Might upgrade a VM later as it’s showing in update manager now…

I’m just doing a slow upgrade now… here’s hoping I get no problems

Curly

Have installed Ubuntu last nite… but messed up the flash install :frowning: tried to uninstall it but no luck… no bother ubuntu install takes 25mins… all done now :slight_smile: flash is good to go :slight_smile:

May try this on the desktop in the house :slight_smile: and move away from Windows :slight_smile:

Edit…

found this site this morning… could be usfull :slight_smile:

http://www.cnr.com/

Started an online upgrade last night, couldn’t VNC into box this morning so I’ll have to fish out a keyboard and mouse and sort it later.

Got the images for a fresh install should it be needed.

[QUOTE=placidsheep;420291]
found this site this morning… could be usfull :slight_smile:

http://www.cnr.com/[/QUOTE]

Standard Ubuntu repo’s are ace. Only think I think I ever downloaded not from repo’s was Webmin.

put it onto one of the new machines that turned up today, most impressed with it so far. Waiting for xubuntu to come out of beta for this for next toy :smiley:

DT.

The box I did the upgrade on stalled at a prompt on if the samba configuration should be kept or overwritten. I chose kept, let it reboot and all seems well. At first glance it looks like all my settings were kept. Now I need to find out what’s new :smiley:

ok installed 8.04 x64 on my machine, install went fine :slight_smile:

one nagging problem tho…

ubuntu see’s both of the network cards in my machine
one is connected to the network the other is not.
ubuntu reports both cards network cable as being unplugged :frowning:
im stumpted, works perfectly in vista (dual boot ftw)

any suggestions?

gah, plagued by the dual-screen ati nonsense that stopped me using ubuntu last time :frowning:

more research required :sigh:

Don’t do what I did. I had Gutsy installed on a usb external drive, and did the upgrade to Heron through Adept. Which is good.

But, because it’s an external drive, I had edited grub’s menu.lst to read hd(0,0) - that is, on my system, I can hit esc, pick the HD I want to boot from, and normally, bobs’yer’uncle.

Adept asked me whether I wanted to write a new menu.lst, and methinks, “naw, can’t be arsed with all that editing again, keep it”. Forgetting, of course, it was a new kernel. Two days of horror trying to get restricted drivers and Nvidia drivers installed. I’ll spare you the details…:frowning:

Me plonker.

'Course, the penny dropped ten minutes ago. Purrrfect. NOW I know. Oddly enjoyable :smiley:

(edit - sometime later) also aso, if sometime later, you have the urge to use the latest NVIDIA beta, (April drivers) like wot I did, it really, really, helps if you uninstall the restricted drivers from Add Remove first. :ghey: Thanks to Cloudy for helping me out of that spot. Now running sweet, tested with the nice but unnecessary Compiz.

Only thing I had to do with Heron I didn’t have to do with Gutsy was add a Samba utility for the network. Again, from Add remove. Under Gutsy, I could nip onto the network under the (I can’t remember) y’know, wotsit dubrie, thingie. But I kept getting permissions ‘errors’, but when installed the utility from Add remove (can’t you tell I’m posting from DO!ze?) - No sweat. This post is subject to edit when I remember the names…:Poke:

I gave up on ubuntu today! Xp disk is spinning away!

have enjoyed playing with it… it just doesnt feel finnished to me!

oh well :frowning:

Um, have to agree. Cloudy and I had dig around the net for yonks to get the sound on my EVGA 122-CK-NF68 working last night. And I had to manually set up Samba.

With Gutsy, everything worked straight out of the box - but that was, to be fair, a straight install from a live CD. With heron I updated from gutsy via adept. And adept updates are available from ubuntu nearly every day, which suggests a work in progress.

Still, I’ve been testing it on a little 60 gig external usb drive, so it just edges on the ‘fun install’ side. The idea being to shove it across to an older system that’s become flakey under XP. It’s still quite a learning curve isn’t it? No way, as it is, would I do that tho. No sound or Samba indeed. :slight_smile:

Spoilt, us modern Linux try’ers aren’t we?

I had looked at getting 7.10 in on my notebook for a dual boot, but it the installer was having issues with Vista and the hard drive…must be a setting somewhere to protect the disc that I haven’ty found yet…May have to try Heron if I can figure out the install probs I’m having (just one more reason not to like Windows).

Not tried it myself yet, but with 8.04 you can install into a windows partition. Basically creates a large file in windows which serves as the linux filesystem. You can dual boot to it, it does not run linux itself under windows.

Going to try it tomorrow because I need it to use Upslug to upload a firmware image to my slug I bought off of DT.

I think I’m going to give Heron a shot (just getting things set up to download). Just to confirm, Core 2 Duo chips can run the 64bit version, right? Anyone have suggestions on which is better (32 bit or 64 bit) for a T7200 processor?

Core 2 does 64 bit, yes. I’ve only ever run the 32 bit version so no idea on how 64 bit works. Hmm… maybe I should attempt an update :smiley: